15 March 2007

Maile Moments

Thurs. 15 March 8:47pm

We are back from Ninh Thuan to Saigon, VN - we are exhausted from the 7+ hrs. trek dodging 100's of scooters, trucks & bicycles...I just had to NOT look to keep from having a heart attack or nausea!

Here are some Maile Moments from our last 24 HRS...of officially having her FOREVER OURS yesterday 14 March!

  • Maile (Thuy Trang is what we've called her from the orphanage to recognize her name) fell asleep in my arms throughout the WHOLE G&R ceremony...
  • With the exception of 2-3 times of tolerating "ba" (Daddy) holding her, she has refused to do so...She has been my shadow & trying not to LOOK at Don whenever he was speaking to her. She would look with her eyes DOWN to walk past him to come to me. Or if I would put my finger out, she would grab it to walk with me....Right now, she has NO interest in Daddy, but I know his tender heart will endure the patience until Maile comes around and is ready~!
  • **She NOW knows who her Mommy is...Phu (one of the Female VN helpers) held her at lunch so I could go to the bathroom, plus I was feeling VERY nauseated from bumping bus ride. BUT!!! at our next pit stop & gave Maile to Phu again (b/c I KNEW giving Maile to Don was NOT an option) --I was gone only minutes & came back to see Maile BALLING & CRYING & SCREAMING for me!!!!!! My goodness- this sweet thing KNOWS when I am NOT around! As soon as I took her, she stopped crying! :) Thankfully I WAS able to calm her down!!!
  • She has NOT said a peep, only looking with those BIG DARK Brown eyes. She can tell you a whole story & HOW she feels about it, just by her LOOKS alone~!!!!
  • In the hotel room, where I put her down & leave for a minute, when I returned she was in the same place...never moving once...I have a feeling that is going to change VERY SOON~!!!
  • She has fallen asleep in my arms for naps/ bedtime with a bottle...TOTALLY the BEST feeling in the world. She eats like a littl' bird, open her mouth & let me feed her!!! She is the ONLY '2' y/o that can take 5+ bites of a CHEERIO!!!!! She will soon learn to fend for herself when she sees her BIG brothers.
  • JUST ONE HOUR AGO... a Whole new Maile opened up...she giggled & laughed at dinner! NOW I can't keep her still, she is singing & speaking VN phrases & laughs easily!!! WHAT smile :) she has...WOW!!!! That littl' voice is so precious & she has TEETH...we have not seen them until just now!!!! The hard part will be discipling since she is so new with us, but BOY has she OPENED UP!!!! She slaps the table, herself, Mommy...now also pinches & bites...YIKES.

I THINK I have my work cut out for me now~!!! When I found out "Thuy Trang" means shy & cautious SWEETHEART...I thought that is perfect for our baby girl...being so soft, quiet & reserved. I think it's all still true & thrilled and honored to see that feels comfortable enough with me to OPEN UP...but I need to stay "on my toes" with her too :)!!!!

Well, we are exhausted from the day, time to get bottle & to bed...we will be in SAIGON now for a few more days - through this weekend and early next...we have to apply for Maile's passport & visa & wait for HCMC Consulate Interview...then we will fly to Hanoi for the same thing before flying HOME!!! I feel like I've been gone weeks and it's only been 5 days, just another 14 days to go, IF ALL THINGS go as planned...PLEASE continue to pray for us, safety, good health & happy spirits for everyone!!!

Love & God bless you all,

NOW officially Maile Noel Thuy's mom!!! Kim-Lan (& Don)

Prov. 3:5-6

6 comments:

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

Holding a sleeping baby, does it get better than that? I am so happy to hear that Malie is adjusting to her family. We love reading your posts!! Thank you! Have a great weekend!

Heather said...

Oh, wow! She sounds spunky! :) I'll bet she is just adorable. I'm sure you are glad to have that 7 hour van ride over and have a chance to get settled in Saigon. I hope that Rocco is doing well with his new parents, too.

Regina said...

Amazing! Thank you for sharing those sweet moments with us! I am so thankful that she is opening up! I will continue to pray for her arms and heart to open to her new Daddy and for patience and tenderness for him as he waits until Maile is ready! How sweet that she has taken to you so completely!

Ly said...

What wonderful stories about Maile -- thank you so much for sharing them. She sounds just darling and I am so happy she is adjusting well. She will be jumping all over Don soon enough! Blessings to you all.

Ali Dumas said...

I am so happy for the Carlson family. I cannot wait to meet her. Give her our love!

Ali, Brooke and Emma

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear she is with you and starting to adjust. I am so moved by your experience--once again I say you are an amazing woman and Maile is so lucky to have you. Many blessings for peace to all of you!

Love from the Harper Family,
Elizabeth, Jeff, Ian, Ainsley, and Aidan